No one needs to tell you that sitting for 8+ hours per day is unhealthy for you, but how can you avoid it if you work in an office?
Generally, office spaces require little movement, allowing for easy weight gain, and sitting at a desk all day can lead to strain on your back, neck, wrists, and eyes.
Stress can also cause harm to your health, leading to depression, fatigue, cardiovascular disease, as well as other health problems.
In order to combat the effects that working a 9 to 5 office job can have on your body, its important to exercise, even if its just for a minute at a time — the positive effects can be cumulative!
Exercise is known to improve concentration and reduce stress, so take advantage of any breaks that occur between deadlines to try some of these exercises you can do at your desk:
Stretch – Stretching, and clearing your mind while you do, for a couple minutes every hour will keep your circulation going and help calm your nerves if you are stressed.
- Tilt your head toward one shoulder and hold for 10 seconds. Then do the other.
- Roll both shoulders forward in a circular motion for 5 seconds. Then roll them backwards. Repeat several times.
- Stand-up, reach both arms up to the ceiling. Separate you feet shoulder width apart and lean to the left for 10 seconds. Then to the right.
- Feet together, bend over. Rise slowly, curling your back up slowly, stacking your vertebrae, until you are in an upright position.
- Sit, point and flex both feet 10 times. Repeat three times.
- Draw ten circles with your right foot. Then your left. Reverse the direction and repeat.
Raise your heart rate – Cardio exercise has been proven to reduce the risk of heart disease, and even increase longevity.
- Jumping-jacks for 1 minute
- Running in place for 1 minute
- Simulate jumping rope for one minute
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Do some walking lunges in your office, making sure your front knee lines up with your foot at a 90-degree angle. (Combined cardio and strength training!)
We have offered only a few ideas for in-office workouts, but search the Internet and you will find an endless number of exercises that can fit into a busy schedule.
Here at SelectQuote, we understand how difficult it can be to find time to exercise, but with the help of these quick tricks for workplace workouts, theres no such thing as not enough time.