Getting life insurance with a chronic illness is not impossible. But many people don’t even try to find life insurance coverage because they assume it’s impossible. While 54 percent of adults with chronic conditions carry no life insurance, SelectQuote has agents trained to help people get life insurance with a chronic illness.
Health issues impact more than 133 million Americans – 45 percent of the population – have at least one chronic illness. Increasing numbers of adults live with a chronic illness such as obesity, asthma, cancer, high blood pressure, depression, sleep apnea, diabetes and other medical conditions.
While the young and healthy are prime candidates for lowest life insurance rates, getting life insurance with a chronic illness may not be a barrier. Life insurance companies each have their own underwriting standards. They consider the following:
- Date of diagnosis
- Your treatment or maintenance program
- How you manage your health with medication, diet and lifestyle
Getting Life Insurance with a Chronic Illness
Medical advances produce better outcomes for many and also lead to better insurance rates. If youre in remission from cancer or your illness is well controlled, you may be able to find a standard or even a preferred (lowest) rate for life insurance.
When time is on your side, your prospects improve further. If you can demonstrate your condition is well managed for a number of years, you have better chances of finding a favorable life insurance rate.
But maybe you qualify only for a higher rate because of your present health. You can get coverage now and ask for a new medical exam and a lower premium once your health is under control for a period of time.
If you have loved ones who depend on you for financial support, you know how important it is to have life insurance, so resolve to find good coverage.
Your 5-Step Game Plan for Life Insurance Coverage
- Do everything in your power to control your chronic illness and improve your health. Visit your doctor for regular check-ups. Take your medication faithfully. Form a solid plan to keep your weight in the normal range through a healthy diet and exercise.
- Prepare to share your information with SelectQuote. Compile a list with names, addresses and phone numbers of your physicians and health clinics; a list of your current and recent medications; dates and outcomes of surgeries, treatments, etc.
- An impaired risk specialist from SelectQuote offers a distinct advantage. These agents help people with chronic health conditions find good insurance coverage. Youll save time, money and frustration by working with SelectQuote.
- Be completely honest when discussing your health conditions. Answer questions about your health and treatments completely. Attempts to hide information will likely turn up in the underwriting process and youll be denied coverage.
- Prepare for the required medical exam as part of the application process. Fast for two hours before the exam, which may lower your blood sugar slightly. Avoid alcohol and fatty and salty foods the day before the exam. Avoid caffeine the morning of the exam. Dont do a heavy workout the day before the exam, which can elevate your protein level. Get a good nights sleep, so youll be relaxed during the exam.
Ready to Move Ahead? Contact SelectQuote and Get Started
SelectQuote has specialists who find the best insurance coverage for people with a wide variety of health issues. Getting life insurance with a chronic illness is a possibility so Contact SelectQuote today to get started.
High Blood Pressure No Barrier to Life Insurance
Diabetes Dilemma: How to Get the Best Life Insurance