Its so easy to take our blessings for granted, especially as the hustle and bustle of the holiday season gets underway. This Thanksgiving, take a little extra time to think about what you are truly thankful for. Here are five ideas to help you get started.
- Friends and family. Friends and family are at the top of this list for good reason. These are the people we love, and who love us in return. By sharing our lives with us, they imbue our lives with meaning. Without them, we would be lonely and isolated – especially during the holidays.
- Good health. Good health is something to be extremely grateful for. Just ask anyone whos struggling with a lifelong medical condition, disability or terminal illness. Day-to-day problems like stress and financial woes are difficult to deal with, but not nearly as difficult as a mental or physical health condition. If you and your loved ones are in good health, take a moment this Thanksgiving to acknowledge how lucky you all are.
- Employment. If you and/or your spouse are employed, be thankful! Financial security is something that should never be taken for granted. In addition to providing us with the resources we need to protect our families and get the most out of life, working gives us a sense of purpose and the chance to interact with others on a regular basis.
- Opportunity. While its easy to dwell on the hardships and disappointments that we inevitably face during our lives, try focusing on the many opportunities youve had – and continue to have – instead. Take a moment to remember a teacher, mentor or boss who gave you the opportunity to challenge yourself – and rise to the occasion. Maybe you earned a degree that you thought you couldnt, or bought your own home despite fears that you could never afford one. Whether large or small, opportunities form the fabric of our lives – and inspire us to follow our dreams.
- 5. The little things. From a beautiful sunset to a hot cup of coffee to a good nights sleep, its the little things that add up to a life well lived. They may not be as obvious or easy to remember as some of the other items on our list, but that doesnt mean they dont count. Make a list of the little things that brighten your day, and share it with someone who matters to you.
So as Thanksgiving approaches, dont forget to acknowledge how grateful you are for all of the wonderful people and opportunities you have in your life. And remember to