Dont let inclement weather get in the way of your winter. These fun wintertime activities will have you wishing for winter all year round!
If the very thought of winter is enough to give you cabin fever, listen up. Sure, all that ice and snow can make you want to stay indoors. But it can also facilitate some seriously fun winter activities for you and your family. Here are five great ways to get the most out of winter – and keep your heart rate up in the process.
1. Skiing and snowboarding. Not only are these arguably the most popular winter activities in the world, theyre also great exercise. While downhill skiing and snowboarding offer thrills and chills galore, cross-country skiing provides one of the best aerobic workouts you can get – and you dont even need a mountain!
2. Ice skating. Indoor rinks are fun, but nothing beats outdoor ice skating – especially on a frozen pond or lake. And talk about a win-win: Ice skating burns a respectable 375 calories an hour!
3. Snowshoeing. Feel like exploring your local winter wonderland? Take a cue from the Eskimos and try snowshoeing. You’ll be amazed at how easily you’ll be able to glide over those snowdrifts. Best of all, you’ll be getting a great leg workout.
4. Sledding. Nothing makes you feel more like a kid again than sledding. And while the downhill part may not burn that many calories, youre bound to work up a sweat climbing up that hill over and over again.
5. Building a snowman. Okay, this might not give you as good a workout as our other ideas. But building a snowman is undeniably fun, whether or not you have kids. All you need is some coal for his eyes and mouth, a carrot for his nose, and a couple of sticks for his arms. Just add snow!
Dont let the cold weather drive you and your family stir crazy this winter. Dress warm, plan ahead, and let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!